Smithsonian Digital Internship, March 2017

Another month, another full plate!

I completed the interactive story map on the Freedom Riders in time for it to be published in February. (Follow the Path of the Freedom Riders in this Interactive Map) Using Carto to build the map itself, and then using Odyssey.JS to connect the dots as a story, the project came together very well. I’m particularly pleased with how well it came together. Sometimes, I do wish that I was more connected with the actual office of the magazine in a physical-sense, but working remotely really does work well for my schedule.

Currently, I’m working on a project of mapping historical podcasts in the United States. So far, I’ve found a ton of podcasts, it’s just narrowing down the best and then deciding how many major markets to include. I think we are going to go for at least one podcast per state, with more depending on the state. We’ll see! I’ll probably use the same techniques from Carto and Odyssey to compile the information again. So far, I’ve really enjoyed how well it works, and how I can make the softwares work for me, definitely more-so than working with Storymap.js. That software proved to be more glitchy for me than anything else. I look forward to seeing how this all comes together over the next couple of weeks!

Leave a Reply